- 451 Roman General Flavius Aetius defeats Attila the Hun at The Battle of the Catalaunian Plainsat.
- 1519 Spanish expedition led by Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan sets off on the 1st successful circumnavigation of the globe.
- 1833 Charles Darwin rides horse to Buenos Aires.
- 1859 George Simpson patents electric range.
- 1891 The first gasoline-powered car debuts in Springfield, Massachusetts.
- 1926 Bugs Moran attempts to assassinate Al Capone in a drive-by shooting but fails.
- 1954 1st FORTRAN computer program run.
- 1962 Governor Ross Barnett refuses to admit James Meredith (a black man) to University of Mississippi.
- 1969 The Archies' "Sugar Sugar" hits #1.
- 1973 Billie Jean King beats Bobby Riggs in battle-of-sexes tennis match.
- 1992 Philadelphia Phillies' Mickey Moradini makes an unassisted triple play.
- 2015 Pope Francis meets Fidel Castro in Havana, on the 1st day of his tour of Cuba.
Tuesday, September 20, 2016
20 September 16
This is a day to celebrate events of many stripes and intersections: